—Or Write Like You Talk
'Do you know something?' 'Well, I know many things, but –' 'Okay, I mean, do you know that conversational copywriting can be very useful for your business? How's that?' 'What are you talking about?'
‘Thanks; let’s do this! Let me explain conversational copywriting!’
‘But… I didn’t --’
Perhaps you still don’t know what I mean by conversational copywriting. Therefore, I’ll explain thoroughly what it consists of and what steps you must take to implement it correctly in content creation.
You know enough that the content marketing area is constantly creating new terms, so today, you’ll add conversational copywriting to the list and learn all its secrets.
And if you already know about it, you might grasp something else because new terms entail that every one of us can add something fresh to them—that means we can certainly learn from you too, so let’s communicate – which is what’s this all about in the end!
What’s conversational copywriting?
What do we humans constantly do? Hold conversations. Some are more interesting than others, fine…
Anyway, we need to communicate because we’re social beings.
I bet you had a face-to-face conversation with a customer on more than one occasion, right? Now imagine doing the exact same thing, but through the content you post.
Indeed, as you hear it, conversational copywriting tries to maintain a conversation with your reader through the written content you publish on your website or blog.
Definitely, you – as most brands, are increasingly concerned with creating your own voice to speak loud and clear while connecting more intimately with your users.
Web content itself is just as important as how it’s written—in fact, we may be losing plenty of prospects because we don’t know how to connect with them correctly.
What’s the purpose of this exciting technique?
Usually, we tend to think that having a dialogue in person or over the phone is much closer than through a written text.
Everything seems colder and more distant through the screen—we may even come to perceive a text as becoming insensitive and not so close.
Conversational copywriting breaks with this idea—your goal is to recreate a conversation as if you were face-to-face with the other person.
This marketing technique is all about expressing our emotions and humanizing the written content. In this way, you’ll be able to capture your users’ and clients’ attention by creating authentic and close content. Being your true self always helps in life!
—By the way, how are we doing so far? [Ehem…]
I’m positive many brands in your sector are probably doing great, but smile because using this technique can single you out of your competition.
You can easily persuade your users to take the action you want, be it clicking on a particular button, purchasing a product, or hiring a service.
Now that you know what it is and its main goal, let’s see how to implement conversational copywriting.
How to implement conversational copywriting?
Implementing this technique is much easier than you think. Let’s check the main points you should consider when creating your content:
- Think that you’re having a conversation with your users. Create a trusted environment and address them.
- Always choose straightforward language and avoid complex terms that may sound artificial during a conversation. If you do use not-very-direct and convoluted language, you’ll be putting up a barrier before your users.
- Combine long sentences with shorter ones; in this way, your texts will have a rhythm. Dare to ask your users questions so they feel more involved with the content.
- Should we speak on a first-name basis? That depends on each language and situation. In general, the answer in English is usually yes. Calling a future client on a first-name basis does not mean we have less respect for them, and we’ll also create a closer and more direct climate.
- Use action verbs—that’s it! Go ahead, do it!
- Avoid overloading the content of adjectives and adverbs—this would only make the result too artificial, and the text won’t resemble a natural conversation.
It’s like in professional translations, which sound as if the text was written originally in the target language, and not an artificial copy of the source—that’s to say if you strive to write a natural and close text, be aware that any translation captures the same vibe.
What are the advantages of using this content creation technique?
- You’ll be giving voice to your brand, differentiating yourself from the competition.
- Your texts will become more credible.
- You’ll improve ties with your audience.
- You’ll be able to awaken greater empathy and closeness.
- Your products or services will become more see-through and reliable for your customers.
- Your content will connect more easily with readers, conveying more emotions.
- The reader will feel more identified.
- You’ll be able to increase your community more easily.
- You won’t be so aggressive in your sales.
How to make sure we’re actually using conversational copywriting?
—With this test: Once you finish writing your content, read it aloud and change anything you wouldn’t say in a face-to-face conversation.
When we write, we tend to be more formal than usual; therefore, if you want to connect correctly with your audience, you shouldn’t skip this step.
'Okay, then lose the "therefore"!' 'Ups, right!' —When we write, we tend to be more formal than usual, so if you want to connect… 'That's better.'
Anyhow, this content creation technique is not incompatible with being professional in your writing—you can be correct and use professional and technical terms and expressions, but always bring them closer to your type of target audience.
You can also choose to put proofreading in the hands of a fantastic team of professional linguists! Just saying…
Conversational copywriting imitates a conversation situation—it recreates a natural and intimate environment.
It’s about streaming to your users that you wish to connect with them and care about their issues. I mean, you aren’t just here to sell them a product or offer them a service—the content becomes more human and believable, and that’s awesome!
Thanks to conversational copywriting, the ties with your audience are strengthened.
And that’s that; what are you waiting for to try it? We’re here to help you in every new linguistic adventure!