Cosmetics are among the ever-increasing number of products we can buy online without having to physically go shopping, and this has been the case for some time now. The question is whether it is a good idea to shop for cosmetics online instead of making the trip to physically see, touch and smell the products, where you can have the seller explain each product’s characteristics and suitability for your skin type and your specific needs.
Clearly, the impressions you get from physically experiencing a product in real life are important, just as it can be useful to have a face-to-face consultation with an expert who appreciates what you are looking for, especially if you have a specific requirement.
THE PROS OF BUYING ONLINE
Advantage Number One: Despite the above, searching the numerous cosmetic sites the web has to offer opens your eyes to new or unknown manufacturers who would have remained distant and unfamiliar if it weren’t for the globalisation of the marketplace the internet provides.
Advantage Number Two: You may well have experienced this already: on a trip abroad, you discover a cream, an oil, a treatment, a serum or a perfume you like, but when you get back home you can’t find it anywhere. This is a clear advantage of online shopping: when you have already had the chance to test a product, you know it suits you, and you can find it online.
Advantage Number Three: Researching and finding out for yourself, and experimenting in a freer, more intuitive way. As always in this blog, we like to emphasise the power of intuition.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SECURE ONLINE SHOPPING
PayPal offers the following advice:
- Use secure passwords.
- Check the website uses a secure payment pathway (SSL).
- Look for information about the seller company.
- Make sure you are familiar with the seller’s Returns and Exchanges policy.
- Make sure the seller is a verified PayPal user, if using PayPal.
- Be on the lookout for deliveries, notifications and other means of contact with the seller.
- beautybay.com: Operating since 1999, this dynamic website offers well-known products as well as niche beauty brands, which we will be looking at in a subsequent post.
- lookfantastic.com: Launched in 1996, this comprehensive, global website has a team of experts available to assist you 24/7.
- sephora.com: Launched in 1970, the Sephora brand also operates its own physical stores. With a wide range of continually-evolving products, this is a good option for those of us who like to go along in person from time to time.
- theorganicpharmacy.com: Specialises in high-end, effective ecological products. The store was founded by Margo Marrone, a pharmacist and homeopath with a passion for herbs and natural remedies as a means to good health.
- naturisimo.com: Specialises in organic cosmetics and helping its customers to find health, well-being and happiness. They make their principles very clear and believe in purity as the new luxury. Their products are good for you, for animal rights and for the planet.